OVERVIEW – #18 GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 82, No. 18 Grand Valley State Lakers 59
RECORDS: Northwood (11-6, 11-6 GLIAC), Grand Valley State (13-4, 13-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: GVSU Fieldhouse Arena – Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood women's basketball dominates the second half in 82-59 road win at #18 Grand Valley State Friday afternoon (February 26).
- Grand Valley State started the game fast, scoring 10 of the first 12 points of the game in the opening 3:23.
- The Lakers eventually led 19-8 in the quarter before settling for a 24-17 lead after one.
- Grand Valley State shot it well in the first, making 10-17 overall (58.8 percent) and 4-7 from 3-point range.
- The Timberwolves finished the first at 37.5 percent (6-16) and 4-10 from 3-point range (40.0 percent). NU was 1-2 from the foul line in the quarter.
- Northwood quickly cut the lead to three early in the second quarter at 24-21.
- The Timberwolves eventually tied the score 35-35 before GVSU scored seven of the final nine points to take a 42-37 lead at the break.
- NU picked up their shooting in the second quarter, going 8-16 overall (50.0 percent) while making 1-4 from 3-point range (25.0 percent). The Timberwolves were 3-4 from the foul line (75.0 percent).
- Grand Valley State ended the quarter at 44.4 percent (4-9) and 1-2 from 3-point range (50.0 percent). The Lakers were strong at the foul line, making 9-10 (90.0 percent).
- The third quarter was the key part of the game, as the Timberwolves played some of their best basketball of the season.
- After a GVSU jumper made the GVSU lead 44-39 with nine minutes remaining, NU dominated the rest of the quarter.
- Northwood scored 16 straight points to go up 55-44.
- GV then made a free throw to cut the lead to 55-45, only to see the Timberwolves score the final eight points to make the NU lead 63-45 after three, meaning the Northwood out-scored the Lakers 26-3 in the third.
- Northwood was 10-18 from the floor in the third (55.6 percent) overall, 3-8 from 3-point range (37.5 percent) and 3-3 from the foul line.
- GVSU was just 1-12 in the quarter (8.3 percent) while missing both of their 3-point attempts and going 1-4 from the foul line (25.0 percent).
- The Timberwolves maintained control in the final quarter, not allowing the Lakers to get any closer than 17.
- NU led by as many as 25 before earning the 23 point win.
- Northwood ended the fourth at 40.0 percent (6-15) overall while making 4-7 from beyond the arc (57.1 percent). NU was 3-4 from the foul line in the fourth.
- The Lakers were 5-15 overall (33.3 percent) and 1-3 from beyond the arc (33.3 percent). GVSU made all three of their free throw attempts.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .377 (20-53), Northwood .462 (30-65)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .429 (6-14), Northwood .414 (12-29)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .765 (13-17), Northwood .700 (10-13)
- REBOUNDS: Grand Valley State 37 (Nine offensive), Northwood 34 (Eight offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 9/17, Northwood 14/8
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Grand Valley State 28, Northwood 36
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 14, Northwood 25
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Grand Valley State 6, Northwood 12
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Grand Valley State 2, Northwood 5
- BENCH POINTS: Grand Valley State 22, Northwood 14
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Alana Nelson: 21 points, 12 rebounds, two steals, 7-13 from the floor, 3-4 from 3-point range, 4-5 from the foul line
- Alli Keyser 18 points, 7-11 from the floor, 4-6 from 3-point range
- Kenzie Seeley: 11 points, six assists
- Brooke Ditto: Eight points, four rebounds, three assists
- The Timberwolves will finish the regular season against GVSU Saturday (February 27). Game time is set for 3 p.m.