OVERVIEW – #18 GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORE: No. 18 Grand Valley State Lakers 77, Northwood Timberwolves 52
RECORDS: Northwood (11-7, 11-7 GLIAC), Grand Valley State (14-4, 14-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: GVSU Fieldhouse Arena – Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood women's basketball drops 77-52 contest to No. 18 Grand Valley State Saturday afternoon (February 27).
- A day after Northwood controlled the second half against GVSU, the Lakers came out fast to start the game.
- The Lakers scored eight straight and 15 of the first 18 points to open the game.
- NU got the lead down to four before the Lakers eventually took an 18-11 lead after one.
- Northwood ended the opening quarter shooting 30.8 percent overall (4-13) while making 1-6 from 3-point range (16.7 percent). The Timberwolves made both of their free throw attempts.
- GVSU finished the first at 47.1 percent from the floor (8-17). The Lakers also went 1-6 from 3-point range (16.7 percent) and 1-1 from the foul line.
- The Lakers scored the first eight points of the second quarter to open up a 26-11.
- The advantage got to as many as 22 before GVSU took a 41-21 lead the break.
- NU struggled offensively in the second, going 3-11 from the floor (27.3 percent) and 1-3 from 3-point range.
- Grand Valley State had a big quarter offensively, going 9-14 overall (64.3 percent) and 3-4 from beyond the arc (75.0 percent).
- The Lakers maintained control in the third quarter, opening the lead to as many as 28.
- Northwood did fight back to cut the lead to 59-39 after three quarters.
- The Timberwolves were 6-15 from the floor (40.0 percent) in the third. NU was 3-6 from beyond the arc.
- GVSU was 8-16 overall in the third (50.0 percent) while making 2-7 from 3-point range.
- NU got the lead down to 19 early in the fourth, but that is as close as they would get.
- The Lakers led got back to as many as 26 before winning by 25.
- Northwood shot 33.3 percent in the fourth from both the floor (4-12) and 3-point range (2-6).
- The Lakers continued their strong shooting in the fourth, going 7-13 overall (53.8 percent). GVSU went 1-2 from beyond the arc (50.0 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .533 (32-60), Northwood .333 (17-51)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .368 (7-19), Northwood .333 (7-21)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .857 (6-7), Northwood .688 (11-16)
- REBOUNDS: Grand Valley State 41 (10 offensive), Northwood 23 (Five offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 21/12, Northwood 6/12
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Grand Valley State 50, Northwood 14
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 12, Northwood 12
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Grand Valley State 14, Northwood 0
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Grand Valley State 2, Northwood 3
- BENCH POINTS: Grand Valley State 29, Northwood 21
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Alli Keyser 19 points, 7-11 from the floor, 5-8 from 3-point range
- Maizie Taylor: 11 points, 5-7 from the floor
- The Timberwolves will play in the GLIAC Tournament against an opponent to be determined.