SCORE: Ashland Eagles 1, Northwood Timberwolves 1
RECORDS: Ashland (7-0-4, 2-0-2 GLIAC), Northwood (2-6-1, 1-2-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood holds firm, plays to tie 1-1 draw #18 Ashland (September 30).
INSIDE THE GAME
- In an uneventful first half, The Timberwolves nearly struck first in the 23rd minute. Christina Medici sent in a free kick from right sideline into the middle of the box. Alyssa Cowper was able to time her leap and deflect the ball on a header, but Ashland made a team save at goal line to keep match tied.
- Three minutes later, Ashland had their best chance of the first half and were inches from capitalizing. On a twirling shot from the left side inside the box, Northwood goaltender Andrea Everett quickly lifted her hand to deflect the ball just over the net to keep the match scoreless.
- Ashland held a 5-2 edge in shots and a 7-0 edge in corner kicks in the opening half
- The Eagles were finally able to put a dent in the scoreboard in the 49th minute. On a loose ball from the left side of the box, a dipping shot found the twine on the far side over Everett's glove for a for 1-0 Ashland lead.
- NU was able to counter quickly in the 55th minute. From the left sideline at midfield, Savannah Wallace placed a perfect pass to the middle of the box for Karina Parker, who was able to sidestep a defender. One-on-one with the goalkeeper, she fired a grounded shot off the left goalpost and in to tie the match at 1-1.
- After 110 minutes, that score would hold as both teams played to a hard-fought tie.
- SHOTS: Ashland 15, Northwood 6
- SAVES: Ashland 3 (Hannah Lee), Northwood 7 (Andrea Everett)
- CORNER KICKS: Ashland 12, Northwood 1
- FOULS: Ashland 13, Northwood 5
- Ashland had won four of the last five matchups dating back to 2013.
- Parker scored her second goal in eight starts this season. She had two combined in 24 starts the previous two years.
- Northwood had one shot in the second half – Parker's goal. But the Timberwolves had the only two shots of the second overtime.
- The draw came in Everett's first appearance in goal for Northwood.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Wisconsin-Parkside Friday for a matchup against the Rangers (Oct. 5). Game time is set for 3:30 p.m.