SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 7, Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 2
RECORDS: Northwood (8-0, 8-0 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (6-3, 6-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Midland, Mich. – Greater Midland Tennis Center
RECAP: In a match featuring two of the top teams in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC), Northwood posts a 7-2 win over Saginaw Valley Saturday (October 14).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- Saginaw Valley entered the match just one game behind Northwood in the standing (7-0/6-1).
- Northwood took the lead 2-1 after doubles following three lopsided matches. NU won 8-1 at No. 2, while SVSU won 8-1 at the No. 3 slot. The Timberwolves won the final match of doubles 8-4 at the No. 1 position.
- Northwood came out strong in singles, winning straight-set contests at four positions: No. 1, 2, 3 and 5.
- The two teams split the final two matches of the day, both of which were decided by third-set super-tiebreakers. SVSU took the win at the No. 4 position, while NU won at No. 6 singles.
- The Timberwolves will travel Ferris State Saturday (October 21). Match time is set for 10 a.m.
1. Olesia Riabchuk (NU) def. Shea Donahue (SV) 6-2, 6-1
2. Tetyana Pavych (NU) def. Maddie Miller (SV) 6-2, 6-1
3. Carol Arnez-Mercado (NU) def. Joanne Gao (SV) 6-3, 6-0
4. Taylor McLaughlin (SV) def. Vasilisa Mikhaylova (NU) 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 1-0 (10-8)
5. Kate Berestovenko (NU) def. Danielle Slonac (SV) 6-4, 6-3
6. Elizaveta Velichko (NU) def. Maya Campbell (SV) 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (10-5)
Northwood 8-0, 8-0 GLIAC
Saginaw Valley 6-3, 6-2 GLIAC