SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 8, Ferris State Bulldogs 1
RECORDS: Northwood (9-0, 9-0 GLIAC), Ferris State (4-5, 4-5 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Big Rapids, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood defeats Ferris State 8-1 Saturday (October 21), setting up a Sunday showdown for the GLIAC Championship for the Timberwolves.
INSIDE THE MATCH
- After Ferris State got on the board first with a quick 8-0 win at No. 3 doubles, the Timberwolves posted a pair of wins to earn the lead heading into singles. NU won 8-3 at the No. 2 match and 8-5 at the No. 1 slot.
- Northwood then controlled play in singles, winning all six matches. Four of the six wins came in straight sets.
- The Timberwolves will finish the regular season with a championship showdown Sunday (October 21) at Grand Valley State. Both teams are 9-0 in conference play – the winner of the match will be the GLIAC Champion for 2017. First serve is set for 3:30 p.m.
1. Olesia Riabchuk (NU) def. Nika Hein (FS) 6-3, 6-1
2. Tetyana Pavych (NU) def. Silvia Verebes (FS) 6-2, 6-4
3. Carol Arnez-Mercado (NU) def. Nicole Meylor (FS) 6-1, 6-4
4. Vasilisa Mikhaylova (NU) def. Nicole Stay (FS) 4-6, 6-1, 10-7
5. Kate Berestovenko (NU) def. Arien Kissinger (FS) 6-1, 6-0
6. Anna Goncharova (NU) def. Adriana Fabrizio (FS) 5-7, 6-4, 10-5