OVERVIEW – MICHIGAN TECH
SCORES: Michigan Tech Huskies 3, Northwood Timberwolves 0 (25-23, 27-25, 30-28)
RECORDS: Northwood (14-12, 6-9 GLIAC), Michigan Tech (18-8, 12-3 GLIAC)
LOCATION: SDC Gymnasium – Houghton, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood drops hard-fought 3-0 match at Michigan Tech, eliminating Northwood from contention for the GLIAC Tournament.
INSIDE THE MATCH
- In a theme that held true throughout the match, Northwood got off to a fast start in the opening set only to watch the Huskies post a comeback win. The Timberwolves led 5-1, 9-3, 15-9 and 20-14 before MTU fought back. NU still held a 23-21 lead before the Huskies scored the final four points to earn the 1-0 lead. The stats in the set were very even for the two teams – Northwood hit .206 (12-5-34) while Michigan Tech finished at .200.
- The Timberwolves looked to be in complete control late in the second set, holding five set points at 24-18. But the Huskies responded once again, claiming seven straight points to go up 25-24. Northwood leveled the set at 25, only to see MTU score the final two points to go up 2-0. Both teams had 13 kills in the second set, but the Huskies ended with a .222 attack percentage (13-3-45) compared to Northwood at .085 (13-9-47).
- Much like the opening two sets, the final set saw big runs for both teams. The Huskies jumped out to a 5-1 lead, but Northwood scored eight of the next nine points to lead 9-6. The teams went back-and-forth the rest of the set until Northwood had their first set point at 24-23. The Huskies finally closed out the match at 30-28. NU made the Huskies earn the final set, as it took Michigan Tech 23 kills to take the final set. MTU ended up hitting .372 (23-7-43) while Northwood ended up at .268 (15-4-41).
- HITTING: Northwood: .180 (40-18-122), Michigan Tech: .271 (48-16-118)
- DIGS: Northwood 48 (Mackenzie Kepler – 12), Michigan Tech 54
- BLOCKS: Northwood 3.0 (Three players – 1), Michigan Tech 9.0
- ACES: Northwood 7 (Brenna Murphy/Sydney Greulich – 2), Michigan Tech 8
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- With the loss, Northwood has been eliminated from contention for the GLIAC Tournament. NU needed to go 2-0 this weekend to have a chance to make the field.
- Northwood will finish their season with a match at Northern Michigan Saturday (November 10). First serve is set for 4:30 p.m.