OVERVIEW – PARKSIDE
SCORE: Parkside Rangers 0, Northwood Timberwolves 3, (25-20, 26-24, 28-26)
RECORDS: Northwood (5-5, 2-0 GLIAC), Parkside Rangers (2-8, 0-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood holds firm in last two sets, grinds out straight set sweep of Parkside
INSIDE THE MATCH
- Both teams split the first 24 points in a tightly contested first set. Northwood would draw even again at 17-17 later in the stanza before rattling off three consecutive scores to make it 20-17. The Timberwolves rode their momentum and captured five of the next eight points to win the set. Northwood's offense came out strong, hitting .438 (17-3-32). Parkside put up a .269 (11-4-26) mark.
- Wisconsin Parkside scored six of the first nine points to open the second, and they would maintain a slim 14-11 lead mid-way through the period. The lead soon elevated to 21-17 before Northwood came back with a 5-1 run to tie the game at 22. The game would go into a win-by-2 scenario, where the Timberwolves eventually pulled it off at 26-24. Northwood finished at .289 (17-4-45) compared to Parkside's line of .156 (16-9-45).
- The Timberwolves maintained a steady 10-7 lead out of the gate after trailing for most of the second set. The Rangers answered with a 7-3 run to go ahead 14-13, forcing a Northwood timeout. The Timberwolves went on a 5-1 run post-timeout to go ahead by three before Parkside pulled even at 20. Both teams traded scores and again needed to win by two after knotting up at 24. Northwood eventually came out on top 28-26. NU posted a hitting line of .087 (13-9-46) while the Rangers concluded the set at .067 (12-9-45).
- HITTING: Parkside .147 (39-22-116), Northwood .252 (47-16-123)
- DIGS: Parkside 54, Northwood 48 (Brenna Murphy – 13)
- BLOCKS: Parkside 0, Northwood 2 (Colleen Mayer/Mary Gallagher – two)
- ACES: Parkside 6, Northwood 4 (Four Players – One)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Mary Gallagher: 16 kills,, .538 attack percentage, two blocks
- Colleen Mayer: Eight kills, two blocks
- Carson Rutherford : Nine kills, .381 attack percentage (9-1-21)
- Grace Rekeweg: 12 digs
- Macy Lintz: 41 assists, nine digs
- Northwood has now won four of their last five after dropping four of their first five to begin the season.
- Northwood has now won ten of the 11 matchups in the series history.
- Gallagher's 16 kills is a career-high. Her 74 kills overall places her second on the Timberwolves.
- Northwood will host Ferris State Tuesday (September 11) for a match against the Bulldogs. Game time is set for 7:00 p.m.