OVERVIEW – GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORE: Grand Valley State Lakers 3, Northwood Timberwolves 0 (25-12, 27-25, 25-21)
RECORDS: Northwood (6-10, 3-5 GLIAC), Grand Valley State (11-5, 4-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: GVSU Fieldhouse Arena – Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: Grand Valley State defeats Northwood 3-0 Friday night (September 28).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- The Lakers came out fast in the opening set, scoring six of the first seven points to take control early. Northwood got no closer than four points the remainder of the way in a 25-12 opening set victory for GVSU. The offensive numbers were reflective of the score of the set – NU hit -.029 (8-9-35) while GVSU finished at .367 (12-1-30).
- Northwood scored the opening point and led the majority of the way in the second set. The Lakers did not lead until the score was 16-15, but NU came back to go back on top and eventually earn set points at 24-22. GVSU came right back, scoring five of the final six points to take the set 27-25. Both teams ended up with 16 kills in the second set, with the Timberwolves finishing with a .138 attack percentage (16-8-58) compared to Grand Valley State at .224 (16-5-49).
- The third set was tight midway through – with the score 13-12 NU, neither team had led by more than two points. That is when the Lakers put up five straight points to go up 17-13. NU trailed by just two at 21-19, but Grand Valley State finished strong to win 25-21 to close out the sweep. Northwood had their best set hitting in the third, finishing with a .200 attack percentage (10-3-35). The Lakers ended the third at .263 (17-7-38).
- HITTING: Grand Valley State .274 (45-13-117), Northwood .109 (34-20-128)
- DIGS: Grand Valley State 69, Northwood 54 (Brenna Murphy – 14)
- BLOCKS: Grand Valley State 6, Northwood 2 (Four players – one)
- ACES: Grand Valley State 2, Northwood 3 (Three players – one)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Mary Gallagher/Grace Rekeweg: Eight kills
- MacKenzie Kepler: Five kills, 12 digs
- Macy Lintz: 31 assists, eight digs
- Northwood will travel to Davenport Saturday (September 29). First serve is set for 5 p.m.