OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 3, Lake Superior State Lakers 2 (25-18, 17-25, 23-25, 25-21, 16-14)
RECORDS: Lake Superior State (5-20, 2-12 GLIAC), Northwood (10-15, 4-9 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Cooper Gymnasium – Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood earns 3-2 comeback win at Lake Superior State Friday night (October 26).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- Northwood trailed the opening set 11-10 when a run put NU in control. The Timberwolves posted six straight points to open up a 16-11 advantage. LSSU got no closer than two points the rest of the way in a 25-18 Northwood victory. NU finished the set hitting .179 (12-5-39) while holding Lake Superior State to a -.024 mark (8-9-42).
- The second set was very similar to the first, except it was the Lakers who made a run to level the score. The set was tied 10-10 when LSSU put up seven of the next 10 points to go up 17-13. Lake Superior State eventually took the set 25-17. Both teams offenses improved in the second, with the Timberwolves finishing at .385 (14-4-26) and the Lakers ended up at .391 (11-2-23).
- Lake Superior State made the plays late in the third to take a 2-1 lead. LSSU was up 19-14 before the Timberwolves fought back, eventually leveling the score 23-23. The Lakers responded, however, earning the final two points to close out the set 25-23. Northwood ended up hitting .211 (14-6-38) while LSSU finished at .167.
- Northwood scored six of the first seven points to set the tone for the fourth set. The Lakers fought back to level the score at 10-10. With the score tied 20-20, Northwood put up five of the final six points to win 25-21 to force a fifth set. NU finished the fourth hitting .175 (15-8-40), compared to the Lakers at .085 (12-8-47).
- The final set saw big runs for both teams before closed out the match. The Timberwolves led 4-2 and 5-3 early when LSSU went on an 8-1 run to go up 11-6. Northwood came right back with five straight points of their own to tie the match at 11-11. LSSU eventually had a match point at 14-13, but the Timberwolves scored the final three points of the match to earn the win. NU hit .148 in the final set (7-3-27) while LSSU finished at .160 (9-5-25).
- HITTING: Lake Superior State .128 (50-28-172), Northwood .207 (61-26-169)
- DIGS: Lake Superior State 71, Northwood 68 (Brenna Murphy – 23)
- BLOCKS: Lake Superior State 5, Northwood 3 (Karlie Wengorvius – 2)
- ACES: Lake Superior State 7, Northwood 4 (Lauren Westlake/Mackenzie Kepler – 2)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Northwood will travel to Saginaw Valley Saturday (October 26). Match time is set for 4 p.m.