OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORE: Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 3, Northwood Timberwolves 2 (24-26, 22-25, 25-17, 26-24, 15-11)
RECORDS: Saginaw Valley (17-9, 10-5 GLIAC), Northwood (10-16, 4-10 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Cardinal Gymnasium – University Center, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood wins opening two sets and has a match point in the fourth before falling 3-2 at Saginaw Valley Saturday (October 27).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- Northwood came out ready to play in the opening set, taking the first three points and four of the first five for an early lead. SVSU responded with seven straight points to go up 8-4 and appeared well on their way to taking the opening set with a 22-17 lead. The Timberwolves responded with a 6-0 run to go on top 23-22 and eventually took the set 26-24. Both teams hit well in the set – NU finished at .262 (16-5-42) while SVSU ended up at .220 (16-7-41).
- After the teams went back and forth to start the second set, the Timberwolves posted a 5-0 run to up an 11-6 lead. SVSU chipped away at the NU advantage but never took the lead, as the Timberwolves took the set 25-22 to earn a 2-0 lead. Northwood out-hit Saginaw Valley for the second straight set, as the Timberwolves finished at .196 (16-7-46) versus the Cardinals at .186 (14-6-43).
- The Cardinals responded well to the 2-0 deficit, putting together a strong third set. SVSU scored 11 of the first 13 points to take control early. Northwood got no closer than seven points the rest of the way as Saginaw Valley cut the lead to 2-1 with a 25-17 win. The hitting numbers reflected the SVSU performance in the third, as the Cardinals finished at .400 (16-2-35). Northwood hit .079 in the set (10-7-38).
- The fourth set was tight throughout – the largest lead for either team was four points. The Timberwolves eventually had a match point at 24-23 but were unable to convert. SVSU scored the final three points of the set to win 26-24 to force a fifth set. As expected, the two teams hitting percentages were nearly identical in the fourth: NU finished at .114 (14-9-44), SVSU at .109 (14-9-46).
- Using the momentum from taking the fourth set, the Cardinals scored seven of the first 10 points of the final frame to take control. NU came back to get within two at 12-10 and 13-11 before SVSU finished the match out at 15-11. Saginaw Valley had four more kills (10-6) and one fewer attack error (5-4) in the fifth to earn the comeback win.
- HITTING: Saginaw Valley .222 (70-28-189), Northwood .150 (62-33-193)
- DIGS: Saginaw Valley 90, Northwood 79 (Brenna Murphy – 25)
- BLOCKS: Saginaw Valley 8, Northwood 10 (Hannah Siegel – 6)
- ACES: Saginaw Valley 2, Northwood 2 (Macy Lintz/Grace Rekeweg – 1)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Mackenzie Kepler: 23 kills, 20 digs, two blocks
- Venera Kadriu: 10 kills, 17 digs
- Mary Gallagher: 12 kills, four blocks
- Lintz: 58 assists
- Northwood will host Northern Michigan Friday night (November 2). Match time is set for 7 p.m.