OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northern Michigan Wildcats 3, Northwood Timberwolves 0 (25-18, 25-18, 30-28)
RECORDS: Northern Michigan (7-1, 7-1 GLIAC), Northwood (5-3, 5-3 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Marquette, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood Volleyball battles in final set but falls 3-0 at GLIAC leading Northern Michigan Saturday afternoon (March 13).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- The Wildcats scored six of the first eight points of the match to take the early advantage. NU got back within two at 8-6, but that is as close as the Timberwolves would get. Northwood did score three straight points late to cut the advantage to 21-18, only to see the Wildcats score the final four points to take the opener 25-18. Northern Michigan hit .121 (12-8-33) in the set but held Northwood to .000 in the first (9-9-32).
- The key stretch of the second set came with the score level at 13-13. That is when NMU put up seven of the next eight points to go up 20-14. Northern Michigan went on to win 25-18 for a 2-0 lead. Northwood picked up their offense in the second, finishing with a .237 attack percentage (13-4-38). NMU also was better in the second, hitting .368 (15-1-38).
- Northwood got off to a strong start in the third set, scoring five of the first six points. NMU eventually tied the score 10-10, but NU responded to eventually lead 21-18. The Wildcats put up five of the next six points to tie the score at 23-23. Northwood eventually had set points at 27-26 and 28-27, but were unable to close out the set. NMU scored the final three points to win 30-28 to close out the match. Both teams hit well in the third – the Wildcats finished at .275 (22-8-51) compared to Northwood at .271 (17-4-48).
- HITTING: Northwood .186 (39-17-118), Northern Michigan .262 (49-17-122)
- DIGS: Northwood 47 (Lauren Bell – 16), Northern Michigan 54
- BLOCKS: Northwood 3 (Mary Gallagher – Two), Northern Michigan 6
- ACES: Northwood 2 (Two players – One), Northern Michigan 2
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Mary Gallagher: Nine kills, two blocks
- Grace Rekeweg: Nine kills, eight digs
- Macy Lintz: 35 assists, five digs
- Northwood will host Ferris State Friday (March 19). Match time is set for 7 p.m.