OVERVIEW – FERRIS STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 3, Ferris State Bulldogs 1 (19-25, 25-18, 25-18, 25-20)
RECORDS: Northwood (6-3, 6-3 GLIAC), Ferris State (5-4, 5-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood defeats Ferris State 3-1 at home Friday night (March 19).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- The opening set was very competitive early, with neither team able to hold onto a lead greater than three points until Ferris State jumped out to a 20-16 advantage. The Bulldogs went on to score five of the final eight points to win the set 25-19. Ferris State hit .220 (12-3-41) while Northwood finished at .102 (14-9-49).
- The Timberwolves responded strongly in the second set, jumping out to a 7-3 advantage early. Northwood's strong play continued throughout the set, extending their lead to 21-15. The Timberwolves were able to hold onto their lead and eventually went on to win the second set 25-18. Northwood's attack percentage jumped up to .361 (15-2-36) in the set, compared to Ferris State at .207 (10-4-29).
- The Bulldogs jumped out to an early 5-0 lead in the third set. The Timberwolves responded with a nice run of their own, scoring the next four points of the set to cut into the Bulldog lead. Both teams exchanged small runs, as Northwood held a slim 18-16 advantage late in the set. That is when the Timberwolves finished strong, going on a 7-2 run to win the third set 25-18. The Timberwolves hit .300 (17-5-40) to the Bulldogs' .162 (10-4-37).
- The beginning of the fourth set was very back-and-forth, with the Bulldogs holding a slim 8-6 lead early. The Timberwolves responded with a 6-0 run to take a 12-8 lead. Northwood was able to extend their lead to 19-13 late in the set, before the Bulldogs battled to cut the Northwood lead to 23-20. The Timberwolves scored the final two points of the set to claim the set 25-20 and win the match 3-1. Northwood hit .115 in the fourth (13-7-52) while Ferris State hit .098 (12-7-51).
- HITTING: Northwood .203 (59-23-177), Ferris State .165 (44-18-158).
- DIGS: Northwood 84, Ferris State 87 (Lauren Bell – 24)
- BLOCKS: Northwood 12, Ferris State 10 (Mary Gallagher – Five)
- ACES: Northwood 4, Ferris State 5 (Rekeweg/Bell – Two)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Venera Kadriu: 14 kills, 18 digs
- Grace Rekeweg: 13 kills, 15 digs
- Maya Ferland: 13 kills, .429 attack percentage (13-1-28)
- Macy Lintz: 45 assists
- Lauren Bell: 24 digs
- Northwood and Ferris State will finish their series Saturday (March 20) with a match in Big Rapids. Match time is set for 5 p.m.