OVERVIEW – GLENVILLE STATE/#12 MERCYHURST
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 13, Glenville State Pioneers 3/Northwood 10, #12 Mercyhurst 9
RECORDS: Northwood 4-3/Glenville State 0-2/Mercyhurst 0-1
LOCATION: Glenville, W.V.
RECAP: Northwood picked a pair of wins Sunday afternoon (February 24), defeating Glenville State 13-3 before coming back to down No. 12 Mercyhurst 10-9
GLENVILLE STATE GAME HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood made the first inning perhaps the biggest of the game, putting up a five spot. The Timberwolves got going on a David Vinsky two-run double.
- Colin McClelland made it back-to-back doubles to score Vinksy and make the score 3-0.
- Nick Palmer and Michael Karam each added RBIs in the opening inning to get the Timberwolves off to a fast start.
- After Glenville got one back in the bottom of the first, the Timberwolves broke the game open in the third inning, starting with an RBI single by Khale Showers.
- Travis Janes then made the score 8-1 on a two-run double by Travis Janes.
- Cole Brooks extended their advantage on a fielder's choice to plate Janes, which was followed by Vinsky's second two-run double of the game to push the lead to 11-1 after three innings.
- The Pioneers got a pair back in the fifth to make the score 11-3, which is where the score remained until the eighth.
- Palmer and Ryan Chargo finished out the scoring with RBI singles in the eighth and ninth innings, respectively.
GLENVILLE STATE GAME STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 13/13/3, Glenville State: 3/9/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 7, Glenville State: 11
- Winning Pitcher: Zach Kregel (1-1): 5 IP, 8 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K
- Losing Pitcher: Brady Wilkinson (0-1): 2 1/3 IP, 7 H, 10 R (8 ER), 3 BB, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: 2-5, 2 2B, 4 RBIs
- Palmer: 2-5, 2 RBIs, R
- McClelland: 2-5, R, RBI
- Ziegler: 3-4, R
- Janes: 2 RBIs
- Vinsky now hold the Northwood school record for doubles in a career with 52. The junior broke the old record of NU Hall of Famer David Lamky (2001-04), who had 51.
MERCYHURST GAME HIGHLIGHTS
- On a day that featured high winds with big gusts, Mercyhurst got on the board first in the bottom of the second on a solo home run to lead 1-0.
- Northwood took the lead in the top of the third inning with a pair of runs, starting with an RBI groundout by Vinsky to score Jake Rybicki to tie the game.
- Colin McClelland followed with an opposite field home run to give the Timberwolves a 2-1 edge.
- The Lakers appeared to take control of the game in the fourth inning, pushing across six runs to take a 7-2 lead.
- Northwood responded right away with a big inning of their own, scoring six runs of their own. The Timberwolves took advantage of wild Mercyhurst pitching – NU scored the six runs on just one hit. NU had seven walks and were hit by a pitch in the inning. The scoring in the frame started when Palmer was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded.
- Northwood's one hit in the inning was a big one – Chris Clark's bases-clearing double that made the score 7-6.
- Clark later scored on a wild pitch to tie the game 7-7.
- Rybicki gave Northwood the lead back thanks to walking with the bases loaded, giving Northwood an 8-7 lead heading to the bottom of the fifth.
- Mercyhurst responded right away, scoring a pair in the bottom of the fifth to go back on top 9-8.
- After the opening five innings features 17 runs, the final four innings saw the pitchers come to life.
- The score remained 9-8 until the top of the eighth inning when the Timberwolves earned the comeback win. With two runners on, Palmer doubled to centerfield to plate Vinsky and Ziegler.
- Dakota Roberts made the lead hold up, keeping the Lakers off the board over the final three innings to earn the win.
MERCYHURST GAME STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 10/7/4, Mercyhurst: 9/9/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 8, Mercyhurst: 12
- Winning Pitcher: Dakota Roberts (1-0): 3 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 2 K
- Losing Pitcher: Andrew Jeannette (0-1): 4 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 9 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Clark: 2-5, 2B, 3 RBI, R
- Palmer: 2B, 3 RBI
- Sharp: 1 2/3 IP, 0 R, 2 K
- Northwood will travel to Chillicothe, Ohio for a neutral-site series against Ohio Dominican March 2-3. The three-game set will start with a doubleheader March 2 starting at 1 p.m.