OVERVIEW – AUGUSTANA
SCORE: #15 Augustana Vikings 20, Northwood Timberwolves 14
RECORDS: Northwood 10-4/Augustana 7-3
LOCATION: Kissimmee, Fla.
RECAP: Baseball's nine-game winning streak comes to an end in a slugfest, falling 20-14 to defending national champion #15 Augustana Monday night (March 11).
- Augustana set the tone for the game in the first two innings, plating two in the first and one in the second for a 3-0 lead.
- Northwood responded with their biggest inning of the game in the bottom of the second, scoring eight runs. NU got on the board thanks to a Connor Kin RBI single.
- Michael Karam followed with a two-run single that tied the game at 3-3.
- The Timberwolves took the lead on a Travis Janes sacrifice fly, making the score 4-3
- David Vinsky extended the lead on an RBI single, which was followed by another run coming home on a wild pitch. That made the score 6-3.
- After Nick Palmer's RBI single extended the Northwood lead to 7-3, NU rounded out the inning on an Augustana error to send the game to the third with the Timberwolves up 8-3.
- The Vikings offense did not let up, however, scoring one in the third and four in the fourth to level the score at 8-8.
- Northwood took the lead back in the fourth thanks to a bases loaded walk by Miles Hardy that made the score 9-8.
- The key innings of the game proved to be the fifth and sixth, as Augustana scored four in the fifth and six in the sixth while holding Northwood off the board. That gave the Vikings an 18-9 lead.
- NU got to double figures in the seventh on an RBI double by Colin McClelland, cutting the Augustana lead to 18-10.
- The Vikings responded once again in the top of the eighth with two more runs that pushed their edge to 20-10.
- Northwood had one more rally in them in the bottom of the inning, starting with another RBI single by Vinsky.
- After a Viking error scored a pair for Northwood, Vinsky came home on a wild pitch for the final run of a 20-14 game.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 14/14/2, Augustana: 20/20/3
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood:13, Augustana: 9
- Winning Pitcher: Evan Furst (1-0): 3 2/3 IP, 5 H, R, 4 BB, 3 K
- Losing Pitcher: Peter Joseph (0-1): 1 1/3 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: 4-5, 2 R, RBI, 2 BB
- Palmer: 3-5, RBI, R
- McClelland: 2-5, 2B, 2 R, RBI, 2 BB
- Karam, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Northwood will face Sioux Falls Tuesday morning (March 11). First pitch is set for 9:30 a.m.