OVERVIEW – PARKSIDE
SCORES: Parkside Rangers 7, Northwood Timberwolves 6
RECORDS: Northwood 19-12, 5-7 GLIAC/Parkside 6-18, 2-10 GLIAC
LOCATION: Simmons Field – Kenosha, Wisc.
RECAP: Baseball falls in final inning as Parkside hits walk-off homer in 7-6 win over Northwood Sunday (April 7).
- Northwood took an early lead in the contest on a solo home run by Kyle Ziegler in the top of the first inning.
- Parkside took advantage of Northwood mistakes in the second inning to take the lead with three runs. The Timberwolves had an error that put the leadoff batter on base then later allowed runs on a bases loaded walk and a wild pitch.
- NU cut into the lead with a solo homer in the third by Cole Brooks that made the score 3-2.
- The Rangers extended their lead with two in the third and one in the sixth, making the score 6-2.
- The Timberwolves began their comeback in the seventh, starting with an Colin McClelland sacrifice fly.
- Trevor Polewka then cut the lead to one with a two-run single that made the score 6-5.
- Ziegler then tied the game in the top of the eighth with an RBI single.
- Northwood had multiple chances in the final two innings to take the lead, with runners in scoring position and less than two outs in the eighth and the ninth. But NU was unable to plate the go-ahead run.
- Parkside then earned a walk-off win in the bottom of the ninth on a solo home run on an 0-2 count to earn the win.
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 6/13/2, Parkside: 7/7/1
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 12, Parkside: 7
- Winning Pitcher – Jake Macaluso (1-0): IP, 2 H, 0 R
- Losing Pitcher – Lennon Gwizdala (0-2): 3 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 4 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Ziegler: 3-4, HR, 2 RBIs
- Polewka: 3-3, 2 RBI
- Brooks: 2-5, HR, 2 R, RBI
- Nick Palmer/Michael Karam: 2-5
- For the four-game series, Northwood out-scored Parkside 30-11. The Timberwolves also out-hit the Rangers 46-15. However, the two teams each won two games on the weekend.
- Northwood will host Saginaw Valley in a four-game series, starting Friday (April 12) at 3 p.m.