OVERVIEW – GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 15, Grand Valley State Lakers 3
RECORDS: Northwood 32-17, 17-11 GLIAC/Grand Valley State 15-27-1, 8-17-1 GLIAC
LOCATION: GVSU Baseball Field – Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: Baseball finishes regular season with 15-3 win at Grand Valley State Sunday afternoon (May 5).
- Grand Valley State got off to a fast start in the game, scoring two outs in the first inning. Both of the Lakers runs were scored before NU recorded an out.
- Northwood got on the board in the top of the fifth on an RBI double by Colin McClelland.
- GVSU responded right away in the bottom of the inning on a solo home run to make the score 3-1.
- The key inning of the game proved to be the sixth, when the Timberwolves offense exploded. The rally started with Brooks Ullery two-run pinch-hit single to tie the game 3-3.
- Michael Karam then drew a bases-loaded walk to put Northwood on top for the first time at 4-3.
- David Vinsky followed with at two run single to make the score 6-3.
- Later in the sixth, Cole Brooks made it 8-3 on a two-run single.
- Nick Palmer capped the big rally with a three-run homer to make the score 11-3. Northwood scored 10 runs in the sixth before recording a single out.
- Northwood made it 12-3 in the top of the eighth on an RBI groundout by Miles Hardy.
- Vinsky then cleared the bases with a three-run double later in the eighth to push the edge to 15-3. Those proved to be the final runs of the game.
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 15/14/0, Grand Valley State: 3/9/2
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 10, Grand Valley State: 10
- Winning Pitcher – Zach Smith (2-1): 2 IP, H, R, BB, 2 K
- Losing Pitcher – Alex Licata (0-3): 0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: 3-5, 2B, R, 5 RBIs
- Palmer: 3-5, HR, 3 R, 3 RBIs
- McClelland: 2-4, 2B, R, RBI
- Ziegler: 2-4, 2B, 2 R
- Karam, 2B, 3 R, RBI
- Brooks/Ullery: 2 RBIs
- Northwood will compete at the GLIAC Tournament Thursday-Sunday (May 9-12) in Traverse City, Mich.