OVERVIEW – BELLARMINE (NCAA TOURNAMENT)
SCORES: Bellarmine Knights 7, Northwood Timberwolves 6
RECORDS: Northwood 33-20/Bellarmine 34-19
LOCATION: Schoonever Stadium – Kent State University (Ashland University Host)
RECAP: Northwood opened NCAA Regional play with a tough 7-6 loss to Bellarmine Thursday night (May 16).
- Bellarmine got on the board in the top of the first with a single run.
- Northwood responded in the bottom of the first inning, starting with a run-scoring double by Nick Palmer to tie the game.
- Kyle Ziegler then gave Northwood the lead for the first time on a sacrifice fly to make score 2-1.
- After the Knights tied the game in the top of the second inning, Northwood went back on top in the bottom of the third. Cole Brooks put the Timberwolves back on top on a two-run homer.
- Later in the inning, Ziegler had his second sac fly of the game to make the score 5-2.
- Bellarmine chipped away at the lead over the next few innings, scoring one in the fourth and one in the sixth to cut the advantage to one at 5-4.
- BU came through with a big hit in the top of the eighth, as Chris Gambert's three-run homer made the score 7-5.
- Northwood nearly had a comeback in the ninth inning, starting with a Ziegler RBI single to make it 7-6.
- The Timberwolves had runners on first and second with one out down by one run in the final inning but were unable to tie the game.
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 6/11/4, Bellarmine: 7/8/1
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 10, Bellarmine: 12
- Winning Pitcher – Anthony Ethington (5-2): 3 IP, 2 H, BB, 4 K
- Losing Pitcher – Lennon Gwizdala (2-3): 2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), BB, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Colin McClelland: 3-4, 2 R
- Palmer: 3-5, 2B, 3B, R, RBI
- Ziegler: 1-3, 3 RBIs
- Brooks: 2-R HR
- Michael Karam: 2-4
- Northwood will now face Ashland in an elimination game Friday (May 17). First pitch is set for 3:30 p.m.