OVERVIEW – ALMA (EXHIBITION)
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 92, Alma Scots 63
RECORDS: Northwood (0-0), Alma (0-0)
LOCATION: Art Smith Arena – Alma, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood opened their 2017-18 season with a 92-63 exhibition win over Alma College Monday night (October 30).
- The two offenses got off to a slow start, as the score was 5-4 Northwood just over five minutes into the contest.
- Northwood led 17-14 with 8:41 remaining in the first half when the Timberwolves finished the opening 20 minutes strong. Northwood scored 22 of the final 33 points of the first half to take a 39-25 at the break.
- Northwood shot 44.1 percent from the floor (15-34), compared to 37.0 percent for Alma (10-27). Both teams shot put up a lot of 3-pointers in the first half – the Timberwolves were 4-12 (33.3 percent) while Alma was 4-15 (26.7 percent). NU had 10 offensive rebounds at the break but managed to score just three second chance points.
- Northwood's offense came out strong in the second half, scoring 26 points in the opening 6:15. That helped the Timberwolves expand their lead to 31 at 65-34.
- NU led by as many as 32 down the stretch before posting a 29 point victory.
- Northwood put up 53 points in the second half, thanks to shooting 50.0 percent from the floor (20-40) and 42.1 percent from 3-point range. NU also had 10 assists compared to three turnovers in the final 20 minutes.
- Alma finished the second half at 45.5 percent (15-33) and 33.3 percent from 3-point range (4-12).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northwood .473 (35-74), Alma .417 (25-60)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE : Northwood .387 (12-31), Alma .296 (8-27)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northwood .667 (10-15), Alma .625 (5-8)
- REBOUNDS: Northwood 51 (19 offensive), Alma 26 (four offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northwood 20/10, Alma 13/11
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Trey McBride: 15 points, six rebounds
- Nate Georgeton/Bruno Solomun/Alec Marty: 11 points each
- Nick Spitzley: 10 points
- Tonight's game was added to the schedule late last week and was a fundraiser for disaster relief. The game raised around $2,200 for the American Red Cross
- Of the five players who finished in double figures for Northwood, four of them were making their Northwood debuts in the contest (McBride, Georgeton, Solomun, Marty).
- The Timberwolves will play in their second of three exhibition contests Sunday (November 5) at Central Michigan. Game time is set for 1 p.m.