OVERVIEW – WALSH
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 88, Walsh Cavaliers 85 (overtime)
RECORDS: Northwood (1-1), Walsh (2-0)
LOCATION: Alumni Arena – North Canton, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood erases a 13-point second half deficit on their way to an 88-85 overtime win at Walsh Saturday afternoon (November 18).
- Walsh scored the first six points of the game, only to see the Timberwolves score 19 of the next 26 points to go up 19-13.
- The Timberwolves led by as many as seven (25-18) before a late push by the Cavaliers. Walsh posted a 16-2 run to go up 34-27 with two minutes remaining in the first half.
- Walsh's lead eventually stood at 34-28 at the break.
- Northwood shot 35.7 percent from the floor in the opening half overall (10-28) and 38.5 percent from 3-point range (5-13). Walsh shot 50.0 percent overall (14-28) and from 3-point range (4-8).
- The Cavaliers opened their lead up to 43-30 early in the second half, which proved to be the biggest of the game.
- Walsh still led by nine (64-55) with less than six minutes remaining when the Timberwolves began to fight back.
- A Nick Spitzley 3-pointer with 2:03 remaining put Northwood on top for the first time in the second half at 68-67.
- NU led 73-71 in the final seconds when Walsh converted a layup in the final seconds to send the game to overtime.
- After struggling in the first half on offense, Northwood shot 55.6 percent from the floor in the final 20 minutes (15-27). Walsh shot 44.1 percent (15-34).
- Northwood scored on their first five possessions of overtime to go up 85-79.
- Walsh got the lead down to two on a pair of occasions in overtime, but that is as close as they would get.
- The Cavs had a 3-point attempt in the final seconds to tie the game, but it was no good, giving the Timberwolves the victory.
- Both teams shot well in overtime: Northwood went 4-7 (57.1 percent) compared to Walsh at 5-7 (7.14 percent). The Timberwolves earned the win thanks to going 2-3 from 3-point range (Walsh: 0-2) and 5-5 from the foul line (Walsh: 2-4).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northwood .476 (30-64), Walsh .486 (34-70)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE : Northwood .478 (11-23), Walsh .250 (5-20)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northwood .739 (17-23), Walsh .545 (12-22)
- REBOUNDS: Northwood 43 (11 offensive), Walsh 36 (10 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northwood 17/22, Walsh 9/12
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Northwood 26, Walsh 50
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Northwood 13, Walsh 27
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Northwood 7, Walsh 11
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Northwood 9, Walsh 27
- BENCH POINTS: Northwood 45, Walsh 19
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Nick Spitzley: 24 points (21 in second half/overtime), 8-15 from the floor, 6-10 from 3-point range, seven rebounds (career-high)
- Trey McBride: 12 points
- Kelvin Calhoun II: 11 points
- Brad Schaub: 11 points, five rebounds, four assists
- Nate Georgeton: 10 points, nine assists (both career-highs)
- The Timberwolves will travel to Cedarville Monday night (November 20). Game time is set for 7 p.m.