OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: No. 24 Lake Superior State Lakers 92, Northwood Timberwolves 76
RECORDS: Northwood (2-7, 0-4 GLIAC), Lake Superior State (9-1, 4-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, MI.
RECAP: Lake Superior State's second-half offense proves to be the difference in a 92-76 win over Northwood Saturday (December 9).
- Matching up to the Lakers, Northwood came out on fire out of the gates. Northwood led 14-4 early on and eventually led 21-11.
- Lake Superior State responded to their early deficit, scoring 13 straight points to go up 24-21.
- The Lakers eventually connected on a 3-pointer in the final seconds to go up 39-36 at the break.
- Northwood shot 41.9 percent from the floor in the first (13-31), while the Lakers finished at 48.4 percent (15-31). Both teams made four 3-pointers in the half while Northwood made one more free throw (6-5).
- The score was tied 49-49 with 14:30 remaining in the contest when the Lakers offense got rolling.
- After scoring 49 points in the opening 26:30 of the game, LSSU put up 41 points in a 12:06 stretch.
- The Lakers eventually scored 53 points in the second half and led by as many as 22 down the stretch.
- Northwood's offense was efficient in the second half but could not keep up with the Lakers. NU shot 55.6 percent on their attempts (15-27) from the field. LSSU seemed to make everything from the field, sinking 69 percent of their attempts (20-29) despite missing their final three shots of the game.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .583 (35-60), Northwood .483 (28-58)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .500 (9-18), Northwood .421 (8-19)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .765 (13-17), Northwood .571 (12-21)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 25 (4 offensive), Northwood 36 (13 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 16/7, Northwood 16/15
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Lake Superior State 40, Northwood 36
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 18, Northwood 10
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- David Jelinek: 14 points (matches season-high), three rebounds
- Nate Georgeton: 13 points, 3-6 from 3-point range
- Trey McBride: 13 points, five rebounds, three steals
- The Timberwolves will host Saginaw Valley State Saturday (December 16) for a game against the Cardinals. Game time is set for 8 p.m.