OVERVIEW – LEWIS
SCORE: Lewis Flyers 89, Northwood Timberwolves 72
RECORDS: Northwood (3-9), Lewis (6-7)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Lewis rides a red-hot second-half offense to break open a close game in an 89-72 win over Northwood Saturday (December 30).
- Lewis got off to a fast start in the game, leading 16-5 just over five minutes into the contest.
- Northwood got hot from 3-point range at that point to go on a run – the Timberwolves scored 21 of the next 30 points to go up 26-25 with 7:21 remaining in the half. In that stretch, the Timberwolves went 5-6 from beyond the arc.
- The two teams went back and forth the remainder of the half, which ended with the score tied 38-38.
- Lewis went 14-28 overall (50.0 percent) and 5-8 from 3-point range (62.5 percent). Northwood ended up at 42.4 percent overall (14-33) but connected on eight 3-pointers (8-19 – 42.1 percent). NU also held a 9-1 edge in second-chance points in the half.
- It was a three-point game (55-52) with less than 12 minutes to go when the Flyers offense got rolling.
- In a span of 7:27, Lewis out-scored Northwood 24-11 to open up a 79-63 lead. At one point during that run, the Flyers went 9-10 from the floor.
- Northwood got no closer than 14 the rest of the way.
- Lewis ended up shooting 67.9 percent in the half (19-28) overall, going 5-11 from 3-point range (45.5 percent) and 14-17 on two point attempts (82.3 percent).
- Northwood had a strong shooting half as well, going 11-20 from the floor (55.0 percent) and 5-11 from 3-point range (45.5 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lewis .589 (3-56), Northwood .472 (25-53)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lewis .526 (10-19), Northwood .433 (13-30)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lewis .867 (13-15), Northwood .750 (9-12)
- REBOUNDS: Lewis 34 (nine offensive), Northwood 21 (six offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lewis 12/12, Northwood 16/9
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Lewis 38, Northwood 24
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Lewis 9, Northwood 16
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Lewis 8, Northwood 24
- BENCH POINTS: Lewis 0, Northwood 24
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Trey McBride: 22 points (Northwood career-high), 7-10 from the floor, 3-4 from 3-point range, 5-6 from the foul line, four steals
- Zach Allread: 14 points, four rebounds three assists
- The Timberwolves will host Grand Valley State Thursday night (January 4). Game time is set for 8 p.m.