OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Wayne State Warriors 87, Northwood Timberwolves 73
RECORDS: Northwood (10-16, 6-12 GLIAC), Wayne State (14-9, 12-6 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Matthaei Center – Detroit, Mich.
RECAP: Wayne State uses a late push in the first half on their way to an 87-73 win over Northwood Saturday (February 17).
- The start of the game was close – the biggest advantage for either team was six points in the opening 17 minutes.
- NU trailed 26-25 when the Warriors finished the half with a run. WSU scored 16 of the final 19 points to take a 42-29 advantage at the break.
- While Northwood ended up at 41.4 percent overall (12-29), the Timberwolves struggled from beyond the arc. NU went just 1-10 from the 3-point line in the half.
- Wayne State had a strong offensive half to start the game, going 19-36 overall (52.8 percent) and 3-6 from beyond the arc (50.0 percent).
- Northwood played better in the second half and chipped away at the WSU lead, but got no closer than 11 points.
- Wayne State's biggest lead of the game came with 6:00 remaining at 73-53..
- Two more ties would come in a thrilling final two minutes. In the end, the Warriors came out on top thanks to a 3-pointer with 31 seconds remaining that broke a 68-68 tie.
- Northwood shot 48.1 percent from the field on their attempts (13-27). Wayne State was more efficient in the second half, making 57.7 percent from the field (15-26).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .531 (34-64), Northwood .475 (28-59)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .333 (3-9), Northwood .227 (5-22)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .800 (12-15), Northwood .800 (16-20)
- REBOUNDS: Wayne State 35 (nine offensive), Northwood 31 (seven offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Wayne State 12/7, Northwood 12/14
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Wayne State 46, Northwood 40
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Wayne State 21, Northwood 4
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Zach Allread: 17 points
- Trey McBride: 16 points (14 in the second half)
- David Jelinek: 13 points, 11 rebounds (first career double-double)
- Demitri Martin: 13 points
- Nick Spitzley: 11 points
- The Timberwolves will travel to Tiffin Thursday night (February 15). Game time is set for 5:30 p.m.