OVERVIEW – MICHIGAN TECH (GLIAC TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINALS)
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 78, Michigan Tech Huskies 48
RECORDS: Northwood (13-16), Michigan Tech (21-8)
LOCATION: SDC Gymnasium – Houghton, Mich.
RECAP: Third-seeded Michigan Tech breaks open close game in second half in 78-48 win over No. 6 Northwood Tuesday night (March 3).
- The opening quarter was tightly contested, with neither team leading by more than four points.
- Northwood eventually ended up with a 13-11 advantage after the opening quarter.
- The Timberwolves struggled from the floor in the quarter, going 3-12 from the floor (25.0 percent). The Timberwolves made up for the struggles shooting by going 6-6 from the foul line.
- Michigan Tech finished the quarter at 45.5 percent (5-11).
- Northwood took their biggest lead of the game around the midway point of the second quarter, going up 24-20.
- The Huskies responded with a 9-0 run to go up 29-24. MTU's lead eventually stood at 31-27 at the break.
- Northwood was 5-13 from the floor in the second but did go 3-6 from 3-point range in the quarter.
- MTU finished the second at 44.4 percent overall (8-18) and 2-4 from 3-point range (50.0 percent).
- Michigan Tech broke the game open in the third quarter, scoring 14 of the first 19 points to go up 45-32.
- The Huskies then scored on their final three possessions to make the lead 51-35 heading to the final quarter.
- Northwood was just 3-14 from the floor in the third (21.4 percent)
- Michigan Tech got rolling in the third, going 10-16 from the floor (62.5 percent).
- After Northwood cut the Huskies lead down to 14 early in the fourth quarter, it was all Michigan Tech the remainder of the game.
- The Huskies out-scored the Timberwolves 27-14 in the fourth to earn the 30 point win.
- NU was just 3-6 from the floor in the quarter (50.0 percent) while making all six of their free throw attempts.
- Michigan Tech continued their hot shooting in the fourth, going 9-13 from the floor (69.2 percent), 5-6 from 3-point range (83.3 percent) and 4-5 from the foul line (80.0 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .552 (32-58), Northwood .311 (14-45)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .533 (8-15), Northwood .368 (7-19)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .857 (6-7), Northwood .929 (13-14)
- REBOUNDS: Michigan Tech 34 (Seven offensive), Northwood 24 (Four offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Michigan Tech 16/9, Northwood 10/14
TOP NU PERFORMERS