OVERVIEW – CEDARVILLE/INDIANAPOLIS (YELLOW JACKET INVITE)
SCORES: Cedarville Yellow Jackets 3, Northwood Timberwolves 0 (25-21, 25-15, 25-23)/ Indianapolis Greyhounds 3, Northwood 1 (20-25, 25-22, 25-18, 25-21)
RECORDS: Northwood (0-1), Cedarville (1-0)/Northwood (0-2), Indianapolis Greyhounds (2-0)
LOCATION: Callan Athletic Center – Cedarville, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood opened the 2019 with a pair of losses at the Yellow Jacket Invitational Friday night (September 6).
INSIDE THE MATCH - CEDARVILLE
- Northwood got off to a good start in the opening set, leading 14-8. Cedarville chipped away at the lead, eventually tying the score at 19-19. The Yellow Jackets finished the set strong, scoring the final four points to win 25-21 for the early edge. Northwood finished the opening set hitting .241 (11-4-29), while Cedarville finished at .138 (10-6-29). Five aces by the Yellow Jackets proved to be key.
- Cedarville controlled the second set. After the score was tied 8-8, the Yellow Jackets scored 15 of the next 18 points on their way to a 25-15 win. The Yellow Jackets had the edge offensively in the second, hitting .258 (11-3-31) compared to the Timberwolves at .094 (8-5-32).
- The third set was similar to the first, as Cedarville used a late run to close out the match. Northwood led 23-22 late before the Yellow Jackets scored the final four points of the match to earn the win. The hitting numbers in the third were close – CU hit .222 (16-6-45) while NU finished at .231 (13-4-39).
- HITTING: Northwood: .190 (32-13-100), Cedarville: .183 (37-15-105)
- DIGS: Northwood 49 (Carson Rutherford – 13), Cedarville 48
- BLOCKS: Northwood 8.0 (Karlie Wengorovius – 5), Cedarville 6.0
- ACES: Northwood 2 (Rutherford – 2), Cedarville 11
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Rutherford: 12 kills, 13 digs, four blocks, two aces, 16.0 points
- Mackenzie Kepler: 11 points, eight digs
- Zyla Kadriu: 28 assists (first career match)
INSIDE THE MATCH - INDIANAPOLIS
- The Timberwolves took control of the opening set around the midway point. The score was tied 13-13 when NU put up seven of the next nine points on their way to a 25-20 win. Northwood's offense had a big opening set, hitting .410 (17-1-39). UINDY ended the opening set at .273 (13-4-33).
- Northwood led the second set 20-19 when the Greyhounds finished strong to level the match. The Greyhounds scored six of the final eight points to take the second 25-22. Both offenses played at a high level in the second, Indianapolis hit .375 (15-3-32) while Northwood finished at .324 (15-3-37).
- UINDY started fast in the third and did not look back. They scored seven of the first 10 points. NU got no closer than two points the remainder of the set. The Greyhounds' offense continued to roll in the third, hitting .483 (16-2-29). NU ended the third at .267 (11-3-30).
- Northwood had another strong set offensively in the fourth, but it was not enough as Indianapolis closed out the match. The score was tied 14-14 when the Greyhounds scored five of the next six points. Northwood got within two at 23-21 before Indianapolis scored the final two points to take the win. NU lost the set despite hitting .410 with only one attack error (17-1-39). UINDY also hit well in the fourth, finishing at .375 (15-3-32).
- HITTING: Northwood: .336 (58-12-137), Indianapolis: .377 (57-11-122)
- DIGS: Northwood 47 (Grace Rekeweg – 10), Indianapolis 53
- BLOCKS: Northwood 4.0 (Four players – 2), Indianapolis 4.0
- ACES: Northwood 6 (Rekeweg – 3), Indianapolis 3
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Rekeweg: 14 kills, 10 digs, three aces, 17 points
- Rutherford: 14 kills, seven digs, two blocks
- Wengorovius: Eight kills, .500 attack percentage (8-0-16)
- Kadriu: 46 assists, seven kills, .538 attack percentage (7-0-13)
- Northwood will conclude the event with a match against Anderson (S.C.). First serve is set for 11:30 a.m.