OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northern Michigan Wildcats 3, Northwood Timberwolves 0 (27-25, 25-23, 25-22)
RECORDS: Northern Michigan (6-9, 3-4 GLIAC), Northwood (4-10, 4-3 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood drops 3-0 match to Northern Michigan at home Saturday afternoon (October 5).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- The Wildcats held the momentum to begin the first set, taking an 8-3 lead early on. Both teams exchanged small runs as Northwood battled to cut their deficit and eventually taking a slim lead of their own, 18-17. NU made a push to go up 24-20 and thought they had won the set on an NMU error. But the Timberwolves were called in the net, which started a 7-1 Northern Michigan run as they won the set 27-25. Northern Michigan hit .125 (15-8-56) in the first set to Northwood's .120 (15-9-50).
- NMU was the better team last in the set once again in the second. After both teams had runs, Northwood led 21-20. That is when the Wildcats scored five of the final seven points to close out a 25-23 set win. Northern Michigan hit .286 (18-6-42) to Northwood's .325 (16-3-40) in the second.
- The third set, much like the first two, was extremely competitive and close through the majority of the set. NU led 14-13 when the Wildcats put up six straight points to go up 19-14. Northwood trailed 23-18 late in the set before scoring four straight points before NMU earned the final two points to take the win. Northern Michigan hit .184 (14-7-38) in the third set while Northwood finished at .294 (13-3-34).
- HITTING: Northwood .234 (44-15-124), Northern Michigan .191 (47-21-136)
- DIGS: Northwood 54 (Mackenzie Kepler – twelve), Northern Michigan 58
- BLOCKS: Northwood 4 (Mary Gallagher – two), Northern Michigan 6
- ACES: Northwood 1 (Grace Rekeweg), Northern Michigan 4
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Mary Gallagher: 10 kills, .409 attack percentage
- Mackenzie Kepler: Nine kills, 12 digs
- Macy Lintz: 38 assists, five digs
- Grace Rekeweg: Seven kills, 11 digs
- Northwood will travel to Davenport Friday night (October 11). Match time is set for 7 p.m.